Western Office Services
Secretary of the Commonwealth
Western District Office
436 Dwight St., Rm. 102
Springfield, MA 01103
Hours: 8:15 am - 4:30 pm, M-F
The following services are provided by the Secretary of the Commonwealth in the Springfield office.
The Western Office can provide you with limited information over the phone about the approximately 400,000 profit and non-profit corporations doing business in Massachusetts. This data includes the date of incorporation, location, and the names of the officers. This office also provides Good Standings, Legal Existence, and Certified Copies as well as Name Reservations for Corporate Entities.
Public Records and Commissions
The Western Office can administer the oath of office to public officials, notaries public and justices of the peace. An oath of office requires an appointment in advance. This office also certifies the signatures of public officials and affixes Apostilles to documents going out of the country.
Information on Apostilles and Certificates of Appointment Brochure
The Western office offers state election candidate information, distribution and acceptance of nomination
papers for those seeking office, election laws and statistics, and "how
to" pamphlets on election procedures. Voter registration forms are also available.
The following publications can be purchased at the Western Office or offered free of charge by using the links below.
- Bound copies of the Acts and Resolves
- Code of Massachusetts Regulations
- Copies of the state budget
- Plumbing, gas, and building codes
- Your State Legislators - a directory
- The Citizens' Guide to State Services
- Directory of Long Term Care Facilities
- Publications of the Massachusetts Historical Commission
The following popular pamphlets and booklets are available free of charge both in print and by using the links below.
- Welcome to Massachusetts
- Safe and Sanitary Housing for Massachusetts Residents
- Your Automobile Excise Tax
- Color Massachusetts - a child's activity book (with teacher's edition)
- Property Tax Exemptions for Older Citizens, Surviving Spouses and Minors
- Veterans' Benefits and Law Guide
- What's Under the Golden Dome? - a walking tour of the State House for students
- The Ladybug Story - how a bill becomes a law, for students
- Notary Public Information
- Organizing a Business Corporation
- Organizing a Non-Profit Corporation
- How to Register and Vote
- Don't Just Stand There...Run! - a succinct "how to" guide for political candidates
- Lobbying in Massachusetts