Commonwealth Electronic Recording System
Before submitting a document for electronic recording to any of the Secretary of State's Registries of Deeds Districts, the person or entity wishing to submit documents electronically (also referred to as an "E-file Submitter") must file the following:
- An executed original copy of a with each Registry of Deeds to which documents are to be filed electronically, and
- to identify your payment information.
The Memorandum of Understanding asks each submitter to certify that they are eligible to submit documents electronically and itemizes their responsibilities in the electronic recording process. More importantly, the memorandum identifies the technical specifications as they relate to each Registry of Deeds, processing schedules and hours of operation as they pertain to electronic recording, payment options, document codes and recording fees.
Additionally, each E-file Submitter must establish an account on file with our payment processor. Your account can specify either a credit card or electronic check payment preference. This account will provide you with an account identification number and allows you to preset your payment preferences, contact and billing information so it is not requested of you each time you file.
Finally, each E-file Submitter will be provided with a workstation configuration guide to assist you with the minimum workstation configuration and the software components required by the electronic recording application. The guide provides a step-by-step explanation regarding browser configuration settings are also documented and are required to support the overall functionality of the CERS web-based interface.
How does the electronic filing process work?
- Scan your documents to a local folder on your computer. Keep in mind that your scanner should generate files in the multi-page TIFF format. For more info, see .
- Login in to the CERS application at: https://eRecording.MassLandRecords.com with the Username and Password provided to you.
- Select the Registry District to which you want to submit documents.
- Click on the "Add Transaction button". During this process you will add the document information and attach the scanned images that were saved locally earlier.
- Next, submit the transaction to the Registry District.
- At the Registry, recording clerks will review the transaction and will either accept it for recording, or reject it. If the transaction is rejected, it will be returned to the E-file Submitter with the reason(s) for rejection. E-file Submitters can view the status of any transactions through the application at any time.
- Upon acceptance of the recording, your payment processor account will be charged the applicable recording fees, as well as an expedited service fee of five ($5.00) dollars per document. The status of the transaction will be changed to 'Accepted' and a receipt will be available through the CERS application. Processed payments will show up on your bank or credit card statement as 'REGISTRY OF DEEDS'.