2018 Information For Voters

Military and Overseas Voters / Special Status

In Massachusetts, members of the Uniformed Services serving on active duty, their families and U.S. citizens residing overseas are eligible to vote in all elections. These voters do not need to register to vote to request an absentee ballot. Absentee ballots can be requested using the Federal Post Card Application or any form of written communication, or a family member can request that an absentee ballot be sent to the voter.

These voters can request that their absentee ballots be sent to them either by mail, fax, or e-mail; ballots may also be returned to the local election officials by any of these methods.

Massachusetts also allows military and overseas voters to vote absentee in all elections by using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). The FWAB can be used to vote any time before an election, even if the voter did not apply for an absentee ballot. After voting on the FWAB, the voter may submit it by mail or electronically. Both the Federal Post Card Application and the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot may be found on the website of the Federal Voting Assistance Program, www.FVAP.gov.