How to Register to Vote...
Who may register?
Only a person who is:
- a U.S. citizen, and
- a resident of Massachusetts, and
- 18 years old on or before election day and
- not currently incarcerated for a felony conviction.
How can I register to vote?
By Mail: Mail-in registration forms are widely available. To obtain a mail-in registration form please call 617-727-2828 or 1-800-462-VOTE and a form will be sent to you. Mail the completed form to your local city or town hall. You should receive an acknowledgment notice in 2 to 3 weeks. If you do not, please contact your local election office to verify your voting status.
In Person: Go to any registration location, such as your city or town hall, and complete an affidavit of registration, which must be answered truthfully under the penalty of perjury. The questions on the affidavit will include your name, residence and date of birth.
At the Registry of Motor Vehicles: While receiving or renewing a drivers license. Keep your motor voter receipt until you receive confirmation from your local election official. If you do not receive any confirmation, please contact your local election office to verify your voting status.
When and where may I register?
There is no waiting period to be eligible to register to vote. If you move, you may register to vote as soon as you move into your new home. You may register to vote:
- in person or by mail, by completing a mail-in registration form and delivering it to your city or town election office, or
- at any local election office in any city or town in the state and at any registration event you encounter anywhere in Massachusetts, or
- when applying for or renewing your driver's license at the Registry of Motor Vehicles or when applying for service at a designated voter registration agency.
What must I do if I've changed my address since I registered?
If you have moved, you must register again.
Are there deadlines for registration?
Yes. In order to vote you must be registered:
- 20 days before all primaries and elections, and/or
- 10 days before a special town meeting.
What should I do if I registered to vote and I have not heard from my local election official?
If you have NOT received confirmation of your voter status from your city or town election official within 2 or 3 weeks from the date you registered, please contact your local election office to verify your voting status.