Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Citizens' Guide to State Services

Published by
William Francis Galvin
Secretary of the Commonwealth
Citizen Information Service

Recreation: Boats/Boating and Recreational Vehicles

M4 Massachusetts Environmental Police

M5 Office of Fishing and Boating Access

M4 Massachusetts Environmental Police
Office of Law Enforcement
Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs
251 Causeway Street, Suite 101
Boston, MA 02114-2153
Tel: 617-626-1650
Boat & Recreational Vehicle Registrations: 617-626-1610
Hingham HQ: 781-740-1163
Westborough HQ: 508-366-6537
Toll Free: 1-800-632-8075 (within Mass. only)
Fax: 617-626-1670

The division enforces all the rules and regulations promulgated by the Executive Office of Environmental Affairs, including those relating to pollution, hunting, littering, shellfishing, lobstering, and hazardous waste. This division also accepts reports of violations of environmental laws. It administers the rules and regulations as well as licensing and registrations regarding boats 14 feet or longer, or with engines and recreational vehicles (ATV's), which can be done online. The office has been reorganized into the Inland Enforcement, Hazardous Waste, Coastal Enforcement, Marine Theft, Boat and Recreational Vehicle, and Boat and RV Registration bureaus.

Regional Offices:

218 South Main Street
Fall River, MA 02721
Tel: 508-679-8287
Fax: 508-679-0066

60 Perseverance Way
Hyannis, MA 02601
Tel: 508-771-8382
Fax: 508-771-2334

165 Liberty Street
Springfield, MA 01103
Tel: 413-733-1642
Fax: 413-733-2154

67 Millbrook Street
Worcester, MA 01606
Tel: 508-753-0603
Fax: 508-752-6132

M5 Office of Fishing and Boating Access
Massachusetts Public Access Board
Department of Fish and Game
1440 Soldiers Field Road
Brighton, MA 02135
Tel: 617-727-1843

This office, part of the Massachusetts Public Access Board, acquires land and boat launching sites along the coast and on inland lakes, ponds and rivers. The board also is responsible for developing and maintaining trails for snowmobiling, hiking, bicycling, etc. The board is a semi-autonomous division of the Department of Fish and Game. Their booklet: Public Access to the Waters of Massachusetts is available from this office.

Go back to the:

Citizens' Guide to State Services Table of Contents

Search Citizens Information Service Home PageHome Page of the Secretary of the Commonwealth