Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Citizens' Guide to State Services

Published by
William Francis Galvin
Secretary of the Commonwealth
Citizen Information Service

Public Safety/Law Enforcement: Police

L22 Department of State Police

L23 Government Center State Police

L24 State Police Academy

L25 State Police on the Massachusetts Turnpike

L26 Massachusetts Environmental Police

L27 Municipal Police Training Committee

L28 Complaints Involving Law Enforcement Officials

L22 Department of State Police
Executive Office of Public Safety and Security
470 Worcester Road, Route 9 East
Framingham, MA 01702
Tel: 508-820-2300
Ombudsman: 508-988-7025
Fax: 508-879-6941

This division provides 24-hour patrol coverage to the state highway system, state properties, and rural areas where these services cannot be provided at the local level. Services include the State Police Academy, Asset Forfeiture, Collision Analysis and Reconstruction for serious and or fatal accidents, Community Policing, Crime Lab, Crime Reporting Unit, Forensic Services, Hazardous Devices, Identification, Marine Section, Narcotics Section, Underwater Recovery, and the Violent Fugitive Apprehension Section to name a few. The State Police, in conjunction with the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency, may direct/assist in natural or critical incidents. Note: For State Police contact information while on the Massachusetts Turnpike see L25.

L23 Government Center State Police
One Ashburton Place, Plaza Level, Room 9
Boston, MA 02108
Tel: 617-727-2917

The State Police Force polices the state office buildings and streets surrounding the State House.

L24 State Police Academy
Department of State Police
340 West Brookfield Road
New Braintree, MA 01531
Tel: 508-867-1000

The State Police Academy is were the State Police train the recruits to become State Troopers. The Academy also offers many specialized courses that are open to all of the police officers in the state. More information and a catalog may be obtained by contacting the Academy.

L25Massachusetts State Police on the Massachusetts Turnpike
50 Massport Haul Road
Boston, MA 02210-2002
Tel: 617-946 3060
Charlton Tel: 508-248-4040
Westfield Tel: 413-572-3100
Weston Tel: 781-431-5050
Tel: 617-946-3009 for the Callahan, Sumner, Ted Williams and Tip O'Neal Tunnels, (and all Big Dig roads and ramps)
Cell Phone Users on the Mass. Pike Dial: 911

L26 Massachusetts Environmental Police
Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs
Office of Law Enforcement
251 Causeway Street, Suite 101
Boston, MA 02114-2153
Tel: 617-626-1650
24/7 Emergergy Tel: 617-626-1665
24/7 Emergergy Tel: 1-800-632-8075 (within Mass. onnly)

The Office of Law Enforcement enforces all the rules and regulations promulgated by the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, including those relating to pollution, hunting, littering, shellfishing, lobstering, and hazardous waste. The office has been organized into the Coastal, Inland, Environmental Crimes, and Marine Theft Bureaus, (see below). For ATV, Boat, OHV, Ski-Snowmobile Registration and Safety bureaus see G9.

Coastal Enforcement Bureau:
30 Shipyard Drive, Building 45
Hingham, MA 02043
Tel: 781-470-1163
Tel: 781-470-2442
Tel: 781-470-2577

Inland Enforcement Bureau:
183 Milk Street
Westborough, MA 01581
Tel: 508-366-6537
Tel: 508-366-6420

Environmental Crimes Bureau:
Attorney General's Office
One Ashburton Place, Room 1811
Boston, MA 02108
Tel: 617-727-2200

Marine Theft Bureau:
251 Causeway Street, Suite 101
Boston, MA 02114
Tel: 617-626-1666

L27 Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC)
Executive Office of Public Safety and Security
6 Adams Street
Randolp, MA 02368
Tel: 781-437-0300
Fax: 781-963-0235

The Municipal Police Training Committee membership, comprised of leading criminal justice officials, provides and approves training curricula for criminal justice agencies including officers at municipal police departments, correctional facilities, secure facilities for juveniles, and parole officers. The committee also approves and offers in-service training on various topics including rape investigation, domestic violence, suicide prevention, hate crimes, and the administration of breathalyzer tests. Additionally, the committee oversees regional police academies in the following communities: New Bedford; Plymouth; Randolph; Reading and Springfield

L28 Complaints Involving Law Enforcement Officials

Local police complaints must be directed in writing to the local authorities first, and then to the District Attorney of the county where the complaint was lodged. Complaints against State Police members should be sent to the State Police Headquarters in writing to the attention of the Division of Standards and Training, see L22. The Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Division of the Attorney General's Office investigates claims of discrimination in police misconduct cases see: C7.

Go back to the:

Citizens' Guide to State Services Table of Contents

Search Citizens Information Service Home PageHome Page of the Secretary of the Commonwealth