Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Citizens' Guide to State Services

Published by
William Francis Galvin
Secretary of the Commonwealth
Citizen Information Service

Children: Nutrition

B20 Nutrition Division

B21 Nutrition,Health and Safety

B21 Nutrition Division
Bureau of Family Health and Nutrition
Department of Public Health
250 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02108
Tel: 617-624-6100
Toll Free: 1-800-WIC-1007 (942)

Within this division, the Special Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants, and Children, more commonly known by its acronym, WIC, was designed to improve the nutritional content of the participants' diet, both while they are enrolled in the program and when they no longer receive WIC services. It provides access to nutritious foods via vouchers; nutrition education and counseling; and health care referrals to women, infants, and children under five years of age who are at medical or nutritional risk. The Growth and Nutrition Program funds several clinics across the state to evaluate and treat children with Failure-to-Thrive. The program was established by the legislature to evaluate and treat children with severe undernutrition, or failure-to-thrive, which results in both growth and social development delays. Services include home visitation, collaborative community-based outreach projects, provider training, research and advocacy.

B22 Nutrition, Health and Safety
Department of Education
350 Main Street
Malden, MA 02148-9120
Tel: 781-338-6480
Fax: 781-338-3399

In 1977, the Nutrition Education and Training Program (NET) was enacted under section 19, Public Law 95-146. The Food and Nutrition Service operates the NET Program to support nutrition education in the food assistance programs for children: The National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast, Summer Food Service, and Child and Adult Care Food Programs (CACFP). The Massachusetts NET Program was established to support nutrition education for children, parents, educators, and food service personnel. This agency administers and provides technical assistance for feeding programs for public and non-profit private schools, institutions, child care agencies, summer camps, family day care homes, and adult day care centers. The office oversees the distribution of surplus food to local and non-profit agencies for income-eligible citizens. The CACFP is administered at the federal level by the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS), an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. State agencies or FNS regional offices oversee the program at the local level. This office approves these agencies.

Go back to the:

Citizens' Guide to State Services Table of Contents

Search Citizens Information Service Home PageHome Page of the Secretary of the Commonwealth