Rehabilitation & Restoration
Built in 1909 and named after Georgina Wright, who funded its construction, the Wright Building served as the Duxbury Free Library until 1997. Designed in the Classical Revival style by noted architect Joseph Everett Chandler, the building received a modern addition in 1968. The property was vacant from 1997 until 2005, when the Duxbury Board of Selectmen agreed to renovate and restore the building and to allow the Duxbury Rural and Historic Society to use the original portion.
With the help of historic documents and well-preserved photos, the project undertook restoration work on both the interior and exterior of the building. The exterior brick was repointed, and windows were restored or replaced. Paint analysis determined the building’s original color scheme. A most impressive aspect of the project was the careful treatment of the fireplace surround in the reading room, including restoration of its gilding, clock, and original colors. The 1909 portion of the building now houses a town archive, and the town has converted the 1960s addition into a youth center for students in grades 6 through 12. The Wright Building is Duxbury’s finest example of Classical Revival architecture, and with this careful restoration and adaptive reuse, it will continue to serve an important role in the community.