Rehabilitation & Restoration
The West Concord Depot, originally called Union Station, was built in 1893 at the height of West Concord’s boom as a railroad junction village. The Queen Anne-style structure was constructed at the intersection of three rail lines, and the building continues to serve as an MBTA-owned commuter rail station on the Fitchburg line, maintaining its historic use and function into the present day. With the decline of the railroads in the mid-20th century, the building fell into a period of neglect. Significant changes were made that obscured the depot’s historic character, including the application of a faux brick exterior in the 1980s.
In 2006, the Friends of the West Concord Depot formed to gather support for the structure, and a resulting collaboration between the Town of Concord and the MBTA funded this project. The careful restoration of the building included removal of the faux brick and repainting of the exterior to match the original color scheme. Stained-glass transom windows in the station’s waiting area were fully restored, or, where necessary, replicated and replaced. With a minimum of new materials and design alterations, the West Concord Depot has truly been returned to its ca. 1893 appearance, and it is once again a treasured focal point of West Concord Village.