Rehabilitation & Restoration
The Park Street School, built in 1913–1914, is a historic school building on Beacon Hill that continues to be used as a school. Designed by R. Clipton Sturgis, and originally home to the Brimmer School, it was the first fireproof school in Boston. When built, it featured an open air rooftop playground, which was enclosed in the 1930s. The school is located in the Beacon Hill Historic District, in an area called the “Flat of the Hill.”
During the recent renovations, the building’s exterior masonry was restored, and its historic wood windows repaired, with storm window additions in order to retain the historic sashes and frames. The 1930s era steel windows that enclosed the rooftop playground were replaced with aluminum replicas with clear insulated glass. Inside the building original mill work and fireplaces were restored, but the spaces were modified to meet current education standards.
The restored school has also been recognized for its design solution to make the school accessible. The Park Street School has successfully met the challenge of fulfilling the demands of a modern school while retaining its historic architectural character.