Category: Adaptive Reuse
Weir Corporation, a local nonprofit community development corporation serving the citizens of Taunton, purchased the Cohannet Mill No. 3 in 2003 to create affordable loft-style housing and commercial space on the banks of the Taunton River. Now known as Robertson on the River, the Cohannet Mill is the sole survivor of three mills built by the Cohannet Mill Company during the textile boom of the late 19th century.
Constructed as a slow-burning mill in 1890, the three-story brick structure had cast-iron support columns, a low-pitched roof, and plank floors.
Underused and partially vacant by 2003, Cohannet Mill No. 3 suffered from significant deferred maintenance. The restoration included replacement with appropriate windows, masonry de-leading ,and repair and restoration of the remaining original mill doors.