Massachusetts Historical Commission - 2006 Preservation Award Winners
The Fitts Buildings - Framingham
 
The Fitts

Category:
Restoration and Rehabilitation

Located directly across from Framingham Town Hall, the Fitts Buildings have a definitive impact on the downtown streetscape. Built between 1899 and 1924 for the Fitts family, which still owns them today, these three adjacent masonry structures comprise one complete side of the triangular Concord Square. While the three building have distinct facade features, they function as a single connected structure on the upper floor.

This project focused on the rehabilitation of the three buildings. Modern elements, such as aluminum cladding on one of the facades, were removed and replaced with historically compatible windows and storefronts. After receiving a variance from the Framingham Board of Appeals, historic-style signage based on historic photographs was placed on each facade. Because of its highly visible location, the rehabilitation of the Fitts Buildings is a powerful statement affirming the identity of the historic center of Framingham.

< < 6 of 13 > >