Category: Adaptive Reuse
Entirely privately funded by Davos Supreme Enterprises, this project is the first mixed-use, market-rate condominium project in downtown Brockton. This landmark project will be a catalyst for the development of additional market-rate units--a critical last piece in the economic revitalization of the downtown area.
Formerly the office of the Brockton Times newspaper, the building once housed printing facilities and editorial offices. After the Times merged with the Brockton Daily Enterprise in 1934 the building was used for office space and apartments. For the last 15 years it has been largely vacant. The project retained the stairs and skylights that once provided light for the typesetters.
The imposing 19th-century building has always been on the forefront of new development. For instance, it was wired for electricity by Thomas Edison's Edison Electrical Illuminating Company--Edison considered Brockton an experimental laboratory.