Category: Adaptive Reuse
The town of Bedford was the first community in the state to pass the Community Preservation Act (CPA), and the first major appropriation of funds was for the preservation of Old Town Hall. This project is an excellent example of the type of projects the CPA can make possible. Built in 1856 as a school and public meeting space, the restored building continues today to be a central meeting space in the town. It is located in the Bedford Historic District and the Old Bedford Center National Register District.
The exterior of the building has been restored and the interior restored and renovated. The great room is available for public and private functions to provide income to support the building, and the town created a long-term stabilization fund that further insures the future of this locally significant building.