The American Glass Co., owned by Patrick Slane, operated in South Boston from 1847 to 1857. Slane rebuilt the glass factory twice within two years after two seperate fires destroyed his business. At its height, the glass works employed 260 people and produced $350,000 worth of flint glass. The footprint of his factory was uncovered by archaeologists in 1997.
An impressive collection of early American glass is on hand.