Mill Pond was a marshy cove at the end of the Shawmut Peninsula until the late 17th century. At that time a group of proprietors built a dam across its mouth to provide water power for mills. This dam ran along what is now Causeway Street. By 1808, the pond had turned into a trash dump, so the proprietors began filling it in. Archaeologists digging along the edge of the mill pond found evidence of wharves, docks, and filling episodes that created the current topography.