Veterans’ Laws and Benefits

Rights of Guard and Reserve Members Called-Up

If you are a National Guard or Reserve member called up for active duty, you need to know about the entire array of federal and state benefits available. These laws can help you avoid legal problems, retain your job, and possibly save money. Recognizing the disruption that call-ups cause to your life, and intending to free you from harassment and injury in connection with your civil affairs so that you can devote full attention to duty, Congress and the Massachusetts Legislature have provided protection by way of a number of rights and benefits. You are entitled to protection by the following laws which are highlighted below.

Protections under the federal Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (formerly the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act)

What follows is summary of the protections you are entitled to under the federal Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act of 1940 (SSCRA), 50 United States Code, Appendix s. 510 (amended by Public Law 108-189, December 19, 2003). Under this law, your protection begins on the date you enter active duty and generally terminates within 30 to 90 days after the date of your discharge.

Maximum rate of interest: If, prior to entering service, you incur a loan or obligation (including credit cards) with an interest rate in excess of 6%, you will, upon written application to the lender, not be obligated to pay interest in excess of 6% per annum during any part of the period of military service and such excess payments will be forgiven, unless the court finds your ability to pay has not been materially affected.

Rent and eviction: If your rent does not exceed $2400.00 per month in the year 2003 (the Act provides a formula to calculate the rent ceiling for subsequent years) your landlord cannot evict your dependents from your primary residence unless the landlord obtains a court order. Should the landlord seek a court order the court may stay the proceedings for 90 days.

Termination of residential leases: If you entered into a residential lease before you started active duty, or you are on active duty and receive orders for a permanent change of station, or deploy with a unit for 90 days or more, and the leased premises have been occupied by you or your dependents, you can terminate it. To terminate the lease you must deliver written notice to the landlord along with a copy of your military orders. The effective date of termination for month-to-month rentals is 30 days after the date of the next rental payment due. For example: If your landlord received your notice of termination on June 10, you would still be responsible for the July 1 rent payment, and your lease would terminate on July 31. For all other leases termination becomes effective on the last day of the month following the month in which proper notice is delivered. You are required to pay rent for only those months before the lease is terminated. If you paid rent in advance, the landlord must prorate and refund the unearned portion.

Motor vehicle leases: If you leased a motor vehicle for personal or business use by you or your dependants you may terminate the lease provided that the lease began before you started active duty, and you were called to serve active duty for 180 days or more, or if you executed the lease and afterwards received military orders for a permanent change of station outside the continental U.S., or if you are deployed with a military unit for a period of 180 days or more. To terminate the lease send a written notice and a copy of your military orders to the leasing company. The lease will terminate on the day you return the vehicle, which must be within 15 days of your written notice to terminate. You will not be required to pay an early termination charge, but you may still be responsible for title and registration fees, taxes, and/or excess mileage charges.

Protection from court proceedings: For certain important provisions of the SSCRA (excluding evictions and repossessions) to be of benefit, your ability to either defend or pursue a civil action must be materially affected by your military service.

Protection when you have not received notice of a lawsuit:Before a court can enter a default judgment for your failing to respond to a lawsuit or appear at trial for which you have not received notice, the person who is suing you must provide the court with an affidavit stating whether or not you are in military service. If you are in military service, the court must appoint an attorney to represent you before any judgment is entered. If the attorney cannot locate you, or if you have a defense to the proceedings and you must be present to assert this defense, the court will grant a stay (delay) in the proceedings for 90 days or more.

If a default judgment is entered against you, the judgment may be reopened if you apply within 60 days after leaving active duty provided that you have a valid defense against the action, and that your military service materially affected you from asserting this defense.

Protection when you have received notice of a lawsuit:The court can grant a stay (delay) for 90 days or more if you provide the court with a written document stating that your military duty has materially affected your ability to appear, and the date you will be able to appear. This requirement can also be satisfied by a letter from your CO stating that your military duty prevents your appearance in court and that you are not authorized for leave.

If you are not available to appear in court, and the court refuses to grant a stay in the proceedings, the court must appoint an attorney to represent you.

Note: Your time in service cannot be used to compute the time limits (statute of limitations) for bringing any action or proceeding by or against a member, whether in court or elsewhere (except for federal tax laws).

None of the foregoing provisions apply to eviction proceedings. (For issues related to evictions, please refer to the section on the previous page "Rent and Eviction").

Mortgage Foreclosures: If prior to entry into active duty you entered into an installment contract for the purchase of real personal property you will be protected from court proceedings as above if your ability to make payment is materially affected by the military service.

Foreclosures on Installment contracts: You are protected from court proceedings as above against foreclosure so long as the obligation is secured by real or personal property, the debt was incurred before active duty, the property was owned by you or your dependents before active duty, the property is still owned by you or your dependents, and your ability to pay is materially affected by such service.

Health Insurance: You are entitled to reinstatement of any health insurance that was in effect on the day before service began as of the date of reemployment. You may not be subjected to a waiting period, coverage limitations, or exclusions for pre-existing medical conditions because of the lapse in coverage. You must apply for reinstatement within 120 days of release from military service. USERRA and SCRA provide similar protections regarding health insurance coverage.

Life and Professional Insurance: Your private life insurance policy is protected against lapses, termination, decrease in coverage, increase in premiums (except for increase in premiums based on age) and forfeiture for nonpayment of premiums or for the nonpayment of any indebtedness for the period of military service plus two years. You can suspend your professional liability insurance upon written request to the insurance carrier for the period of your active duty. You or your beneficiary must apply to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to receive this protection.

Income Taxes: Your state of legal domicile may tax your military income and real and personal property. Legal domicile is not changed solely by military service. Federal and state income tax may be deferred for the period of your military service plus six months if your ability to pay is materially impaired by your military service.

Taxes and Assessments on Personal/Real Property:Taxes on personal property (including motor vehicles) that fall due and remain unpaid during a period of military service cannot bear an interest rate of more than 6% per year and cannot be subject to additional fees and penalties. During the period of your military service, your property cannot be sold to satisfy a tax obligation or assessment except upon a court order. The court determines if a stay is appropriate. (See also “real estate tax,” below.)

Re-employment rights: If you are called up to active duty from either the public or the private sector you are guaranteed your job and additional rights when you return to your job under the Uniformed Service Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) Title 38 of the U.S. Code of 4301. So long as before activation you give advance notice to the employer, you are not gone for more than five years, you receive an honorable or general discharge, and you promptly return to work, you are protected. Essentially USERRA provides that you have the same job and benefits as when you left. For more information, please see Protections for Reserve/Guard and active duty military in the Education Section or:

Rights under Massachusetts law

The state’s version of the federal Soldiers’ and Sailors Civil Relief Act of 1941 (SSCRA) provides employment protections if you are a public servant called to, or volunteering for military service in an emergency, so long as you are not dishonorably discharged. There are also civil litigation and official documents protections for all persons who serve. In that this law is more generous than the federal SCRA in terms of extensions for certain proceedings, it supersedes the federal law. It does not apply to proceedings if you are a defendant, executor, or administrator.

Re-employment: If you are a public employee who resigns to serve in the military you are considered on a leave of absence and can be re-employed so long as your return within two years of military service. You are entitled to all seniority rights so long as you return to public service within two years. Your employee pension is protected and your military service is credited to it. Note: These time provisions are more generous than those provided in USERRA they supersede it.

Certain Municipal, District, County Employees:
Certain elected municipal, district, and county officers' positions are protected by temporary substitutes.

Official Documents: You can have real estate deeds, powers of attorney, and other instruments acknowledged before certain commissioned officers. Certain commissioned officers have the power and authority to be commissioners, notaries public, and justices of the peace in order to administer oaths and take depositions, affidavits, and acknowledgements of those in military service.

Other Massachusetts benefits and protections

National Guard members: If you are in the Massachusetts National Guard you receive extra employment protections. No employer public or private can discriminate against you under M.G.L. ch. 33, s.13. If you work for the state you get paid your state salary while you are on certain types of duty in the Commonwealth at the order of the commander-in-chief. This applies to counties and municipalities if they adopt M.G.L. ch.33, s.59. These duties include annual training, emergency assistance, repelling invasions or suppressing insurrections, controlling riots or mobs, or protecting persons or property during catastrophes or natural disasters.

Real estate tax:
If in the judgment of the assessor you can show poverty or financial hardship resulting from a call-up, and if you file a timely application you can get a property tax exemption under Chapter 470 of the Acts of 2002. The exemption is executed in a tax deferral and recovery agreement providing protection for the member's share in the property and for your surviving spouse and heirs.

If you are a veteran as defined in M.G.L. ch. 4, s.7, cl.43rd, and you hold a state job which is not subject to M.G.L. ch. 31 (civil service), you are protected if you have three years in your position. You have tenure in that position under M.G.L. ch. 30, s.9A. In the event of a lay-off you have a right to a similar existing position, in the same group or grade unless all positions are held by veterans in which case lay-offs are in inverse order of their original appointments. Tenured veterans have preference amongst themselves according to the date of their appointment.
Veterans who are civil service employees classified under Chapter 31 also have lay-off protection in that disabled veterans are retained in preference to all other persons including veterans. See M.G.L. ch.31, s.26 at:

Servicemen's Group Life Insurance:
Acts of 2005 ch. 130
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts will reimburse 50% of the monthly premium for any amount of coverage for a member of the Massachusetts National Guard who purchases the Servicemen's Group Life Insurance or 50% of equivalent coverage for group life insurance with a company of the Guard member's choosing not to exceed the amount of the premium that would be covered if they were to elect coverage by Servicemen's Group Life Insurance.

Creditable service:
Acts of 2005 ch. 130
This change to the existing law allows for those members of the National Guard or Reserves in neighboring states but working in a public service capacity within Massachusetts to have the military service counted as creditable service time and may be applied toward retirement on a ratio of five years of Guard or Reserve time for each year of active service.

Contact information:

Department of Veterans' Services
600 Washington Street, 7th Floor
Boston, MA 02111
Tel: 617-210-5480

Military Family Relief Fund

Acts of 2005 ch. 130
This fund is administered by the Friends of the Massachusetts National Guard and Reserve as a needs-based program to assist those families who are suffering a financial hardship due to military deployment.

Contact information:

Friends of the National Guard and Reserve Families
6 Beacon Street
Boston, MA 02108
Toll Free: 1-84HELP-VETS (1-844-357-8387)

Military and Family Support Center

The Military and Family Support Center is an agency of the Massachusetts National Guard that supports Guard and Reserve members and their families by coordinating local, state, and federal resources. A wide range of services are available free of charge at the open access center in Wellesley. Services include but are not limited to:

  • Legal services
  • Military identification card services
  • Family program staff and services
  • Counselors and other representatives from federal and state agencies to assist with financial assistance, housing and healthcare
  • Transition Assistance Advisor
  • Department of Veterans' Services representatives
  • Military One Source representatives
  • Traumatic Brain Injury support
  • Distance learning classroom and conference rooms (for validated agencies)

Contact information:

Deployment Cycle Support Operations
14 Minuteman Lane
Wellesley, MA 02481
Toll-Free: 1-800-772-1237

Operation Total Warrior

Operation Total Warrior is the Massachusetts Yellow Ribbon Program for Reservists and members of the National Guard for pre- and post-deployment readiness. It consists of a series of seminars conducted at conference sites across the state for selected units and any veteran or active duty dependent who wishes to attend. The seminars include a number of interactive mental strength building sessions, free job services, financial planning advice, legal services, health and nutrition strategies, and many other beneficial activities and briefings. Family members and friends are welcome to attend free of charge.

Contact information:

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Toll-Free: 1-888-442-4551