Veterans’ Laws and Benefits


State-aided public housing

Preference in Tenant Selection; M.G.L. ch. 200, Acts of 1948; M.G.L. ch. 121B, s.1 and s.32; 760 CMR 7.04

Veterans (see Definitions section) applying for state-aided public housing through a local housing authority, who are to be displaced by any low-rent housing project or by a public slum clearance or urban renewal project or who were displaced within three years prior to applying for low-rent housing, when equally in need and eligible for occupancy as other applicants, shall be given preference in tenant selection in the following order:

  • Families of disabled veterans whose disability has been determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to be service-connected.
  • Families of deceased veterans whose death has been determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to be service-connected.
  • Families of all other veterans.
  • The word “veteran” shall also include the spouse, surviving spouse, dependent parent or child of a veteran, and the divorced spouse of a veteran who is a legal guardian of a child of a veteran.

Gross income calculation

760 CMR 6.05(3)(C) and M.G.L. ch. 121B, s.32
Any amounts received by the veteran for use in paying tuition, fees, or the cost of books cannot be included in the calculation of the veteran’s gross income for purposes of state-aided public housing. Housing authorities are authorized to exclude disability compensation paid by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to totally unemployable disabled veterans in excess of $1,800.00. However, it is dependant on the individual housing authority to allow such exclusion.

Continued occupancy

M.G.L. ch. 121B, s. 32
State-aided low-rent housing projects cannot deny continued occupancy to veterans, widows or widowers of veterans, or a Gold Star Mother who has lived there for the last eight consecutive years, provided that the unit is two bedrooms or less and the rent is not more than three months in arrears.

Homeless shelters, transitional housing, and supportive housing with services

The Department of Veterans' Services provides some funding to select non-profit organizations which provide housing services to eligible veterans. Housing services range from emergency homeless shelters, group residences, to single occupancy (SRO) quarters. All require that residents maintain a sober and drug-free environment. Services are available to both male and female veterans.

Homeless shelters (short stay)

Veterans Inc.
69 Grove Street
Worcester, MA 01605

New England Shelter for Homeless Veterans
17 Court Street
Boston, MA 02108

Veterans Transition House
20 Willis Street
New Bedford, MA 02740

Soldier On
4251 North Main Street, Buildings 6 and 26
Northampton/Leeds, MA 01053-0481

Transitional (longer stay) and supportive housing with services

Bedford Veterans Quarters (SRO)
200 Springs Road
Bedford, MA 01730

Habitat P.L.U.S., Inc. (Services: veterans with head injuries/psychiatric veterans)
520 Essex Street
Lynn, MA 01902

Veteran Homestead
69 High Street
Fitchburg, MA 01420

Montachusett Veterans Outreach Center, Inc.
268 Central Street
Gardner, MA 01440

Cape and Islands Outreach Center, Inc.
569 Main Street
Barnstable/Hyannis, MA 02601

Pine Street Inn
444 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02118

Bilingual Veterans Outreach Center
281 Franklin Street
Springfield, MA 01104

Turner House Center for Veterans, Inc.
825 Simonds Road
Williamstown, MA 01267

Veteran Hospice Homestead
3 Victory Lane
Gardner, MA 01440

Veterans Northeast Outreach Center
10 Reed Street
Haverhill, MA 01832

Other programs not supported by DVS funding

Consumer Education Center (MassHousing)
Toll-Free: 800-224-5124

Home Modification Loan Program
(Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission)

Homeless Women Veterans’ Outreach and Case Management Program, VA Boston Healthcare System
150 South Huntington Avenue 116B-3
Boston, MA 02130

MassHousing’s Home for the Brave Loan Program

Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership

Northeast Veteran Training and Rehabilitation Center
3 Victory Lane
Gardner, MA 01440

Soldiers’ Homes

Massachusetts Soldiers’ Homes provide a variety of services to veterans such as acute hospital care, domiciliary care, long-term care, physical and occupational therapy, laboratory and radiology services, an outpatient department, and a social services department. There are two state Soldiers’ Homes, one in Chelsea, the other in Holyoke. For information on eligibility and admission, contact either:

Chelsea Soldiers’ Home
91 Crest Avenue
Chelsea, MA 02150


Holyoke Soldiers’ Home
Admissions Office
110 Cherry Street
Holyoke, MA 01041

Tenancy Preservation Program

Through the Tenancy Preservation Program (TPP), MassHousing works to prevent homelessness among people with disabilities. TPP acts as a neutral party between landlord and tenant, and provides clinical consultation services to the Housing Court.

For more information, call 617-854-1089 or

VA Supported Housing Program

The VA Supported Housing (VASH) Program is a joint project of the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). VASH provides section 8 vouchers to chronically homeless veterans with substance abuse and/or mental health issues. The voucher provides a rent subsidy that generally covers rental costs in excess of 30% of the veterans’ income. The goal of the program is to transition veterans from homelessness to independent subsidized housing by providing supportive, community-based case management services. 

Eligibility requirements

  • A veteran must not be a lifetime sexual offender
  • Be homeless or at-risk for homelessness
  • Have a substance abuse or mental illness history
  • Be clinically stabilized
  • Have a need and willingness to accept case management services over a period of time to be determined by the case manager
  • Be within income guidelines
  • Have a savings account

Contact information

For more information, contact the VASH Program Assistant at a VA Medical Center near you.

Bedford: 781-687-2000
Boston: 617-232-9500
Northampton: 413-584-4040