Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Citizens' Guide to State Services

Published by
William Francis Galvin
Secretary of the Commonwealth
Citizen Information Service

Public Safety/Law Enforcement: Police

L27 Department of State Police

L28 Government Center State Police

L29 State Police Academy

L30 State Police on the Massachusetts Turnpike

L31 Complaints Involving Law Enforcement Officials

L27 Department of State Police
Executive Office of Public Safety and Security
470 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA 01702
Tel: 508-820-2300
Fax: 617-727-6874

This division provides 24-hour patrol coverage to the state highway system, state properties, and rural areas where these services cannot be provided at the local level. Services include the State Police Academy, Asset Forfeiture, Collision Analysis and Reconstruction for serious and or fatal accidents, Community Policing, Crime Lab, Crime Reporting Unit, Forensic Services, Hazardous Devices, Identification, Marine Section, Narcotics Section, Underwater Recovery, and the Violent Fugitive Apprehension Section to name a few. The State Police, in conjunction with the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency, may direct/assist in natural or critical incidents. Note: For State Police contact information while on the Massachusetts Turnpike see L30.

L28 Government Center State Police
One Ashburton Place, Plaza Level, Room 9
Boston, MA 02108
Tel: 617-727-2917

The State Police Force polices the state office buildings and streets surrounding the State House.

L29 State Police Academy
Department of State Police
340 West Brookfield Road
New Braintree, MA 01531
Tel: 508-867-1000
Fax: 508-867-1100

The State Police Academy is were the State Police train the recruits to become State Troopers. The Academy also offers many specialized courses that are open to all of the police officers in the state. More information and a catalog may be obtained by contacting the Academy.

L30 Massachusetts State Police on the Massachusetts Turnpike
Massachusetts State Police Troop E
50 Massport Haul Road
Boston, MA 02210-2002
Tel: 617-946 3060
Charlton Tel: 508-248-4040
Westfield Tel: 413-572-3100
Weston Tel: 781-431-5050
Tel: 617-946-3009 for the Callahan, Sumner, Ted Williams and Tip O'Neal Tunnels, (and all Big Dig roads and ramps)
Cell Phone Users on the Mass. Pike Dial: 911

L31 Complaints Involving Law Enforcement Officials

Local police complaints must be directed to the local authorities and then to the District Attorney of the county where the complaint was lodged. The Attorney General's Office investigates claims of discrimination in police misconduct cases.

Go back to the:

Citizens' Guide to State Services Table of Contents

Search Citizens Information Service Home PageHome Page of the Secretary of the Commonwealth