Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Citizens' Guide to State Services

Published by
William Francis Galvin
Secretary of the Commonwealth
Citizen Information Service

Consumer: Home Improvement

D11 Home Improvement Contractors
Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation
10 Park Plaza, Suite 5170
Boston, MA 02116
Tel: 617-973-8700
Toll Free: 1-888-283-3757

Home improvement contractors are licensed and renewed through this office. The arbitration program resolves disputes between homeowners and registered home improvement contractors. It also administers the Guaranty Fund, a fund of last resort for homeowners with an unpaid arbitration award or court judgment. Homeowners can apply to receive up to $10,000 from this fund, and in some cases, double damages. Contractors must register with the Home Improvement Registration Program, which is overseen by the Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation.

Go back to the:

Citizens' Guide to State Services Table of Contents

Search Citizens Information Service Home PageHome Page of the Secretary of the Commonwealth